Toll Free:

Monday - Friday:

10am - 6pm

Eligible foreign nationals with open work permits can work for any employer in Canada.

Most foreign people who wish to work in Canada require legal authorization in the form of a work permit. The open work permit is one of several types of work permits that allow foreign employees to work legally in Canada.

In Canada, there are two sorts of work permits: closed work permits, which are tied to a single business, and open work permits, which allow foreign nationals to work for a variety of employers and in a variety of places.

The most significant benefit of open work permits is that they enable for mobility between workplaces, employers, occupations, and regions within Canada.
Some of the restrictions for acquiring a work permit in Canada are waived for open work permits. To be qualified for an open work visa, you do not require a job offer or a favourable Labour Market Impact Assessment.


However, some open work permits may have extra restrictions that foreign nationals must meet. These requirements will be printed on your open work permit if they apply.

Who can Apply for an Open Work Permit?

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you fall under one of the following categories:

  • You are an international student who has graduated from a designated educational institution and is eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program;
  • You have applied for permanent residence in Canada under one of Canada’s immigration programs;
  • You are a dependent family member (e.g., spouse or common-law partner) of a person who has applied for permanent residence;
  • You are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student;
  • You are a temporary resident permit holder;
  • You are a refugee, asylum seeker, protected person or their family member;
  • You are under an unenforceable removal order;
  • You are a young worker participating in the Working Holiday program;
  • You are a student who is unable to meet the costs of studies;
  • You have a work permit specific to your employer and are being abused or are at risk of being abused in the course of your employment in Canada.