Toll Free:

Monday - Friday:

10am - 6pm

A study permit is a document given by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that authorises international students to study in Canada at a particular educational institution. After receiving a letter of admission from a designated learning institution, such as a university or college, you must apply for a study visa with the IRCC.
This CS Immigration page will lead you through the steps of applying for a study permit in Canada.


An applicant for a Canadian study permit may include his or her family members on the application in order for them to travel to Canada with the applicant.
Minor children may be able to attend Canadian elementary and secondary schools, and accompanying spouses may be able to receive an open work visa, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer.

A study permit is required for the majority of international students.
If your programme in Canada is for six months or less, you do not need a study permit.
Furthermore, little children and others may be excused from the need for a Canadian study permit.

Fast-track option: Student Direct Stream (SDS)

You can get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) if you live in one of the following countries:

  • India
  • China
  • The Philippines
  • Pakistan
  • Vietnam
  • Morocco
  • Senegal
  • Brazil
  • Colombia
  • Peru
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Costa Rica
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines