Toll Free:

Monday - Friday:

10am - 6pm

You might be possible to acquire a job as an international student in Canada without a work permit while you’re studying.

International students that choose Canada as their study destination benefit from Canada’s immigration laws, which allows them to get significant work experience.

Work off-campus

An foreign student with a valid Canadian Study Permit may be able to work for an employer outside of the educational institution where he or she is enrolled.

Eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible to work off-campus during his or her studies, an international student must:

  • hold a valid study permit;
  • be studying full-timeat a designated learning institution (Visit our dedicated page for a comprehensive Designated Learning Institution (DLI) List);
  • have started studying and remain in satisfactory academic standing as determined by their institution;
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that is at least six months in duration and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate; and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Work on-campus

If an international student meets certain qualifications, he or she may be authorised to work within the confines of the campus where he or she is enrolled.

An overseas student who wishes to work on campus without a work permit must:

  • hold a valid Study Permit;
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • be registered as a full-time post-secondary student at a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law