Bringing a Spouse, Common-Law Partner, or Family Members to Canada


Are you thinking about inviting a spouse or common-law partner, or other members of your family, to join you in Canada?

Canada’s generous immigration policy allows certain family members of international students to come to Canada to work and/or study.

On this page:
Definition of Family Member

For the purposes of this page, “family member” refers to a spouse, common-law/conjugal partner, and dependent children.

The Study Hub

Have you joined the CanadaVisa Study Hub? This exclusive portal provides international students and graduates in Canada access to:

  • A $500 scholarship contest
  • Personal status checker
  • Immigration notifications
  • News updates
  • Job opportunities
  • Pathways to Canadian permanent residence
  • And much more…

Don’t wait, join the Study Hub today!

Visitor Visas

Citizens of some countries and territories require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to enter Canada as visitors. A visa cannot be applied for at a Canadian Port of Entry, and, in some cases, a medical examination may be required. This can add significant processing time to your application.

Citizens of certain countries do not need a TRV, but, as of November 10, 2016, most visa-exempt persons require an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The main exception is U.S. citizens, who require neither a TRV nor an eTA.

To determine whether you and/or your accompanying family members require a TRV or an eTA, use the Visiting Canada Tool.

Work Permits for Spouses

Full-time students with a valid study permit can help their spouse or common-law partner apply for an open work permit. An open work permit will enable the spouse or common-law partner of the international student to work, and is usually valid for the entire length of the student’s study permit. To be eligible for this program, the student must be studying full-time, and have a valid study permit at:

  • A public post-secondary institution; or
  • A private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution and receives half of its overall operations budget from government grants; or
  • A private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

This open work permit allows its bearer to work for any employer in Canada, and does not require a job offer, or a Labour Market Impact Assessment. Bear in mind, this open work permit may exclude certain occupations (such as jobs in schools or hospitals) unless medical examination is provided.

Spousal Work Permit Timing and Application Procedure

Canadian visa offices overseas are generally able to process an application for a work permit at the same time as the study permit application. In such cases, in addition to the study permit processing fees, the applicant(s) must also include work permit processing fees.

Conversely, the spouse or common-law partner may come to Canada as a visitor and then apply for a work permit after arrival. For citizens of countries that do not require a TRV, this work permit application may be done at a Canadian Port of Entry. In some cases, citizens of visa-required countries may also contemplate a Port of Entry application.

Minor Children and Canadian Study Permit Rules

If you or your spouse or common-law partner is already in Canada, your minor child may study without a study permit at the preschool, primary, or secondary level. Once the child reaches the age of majority in their province, however, he or she must apply for a study permit to continue his or her studies in Canada. This application can be completed from inside Canada. Please consult the table below for further information.

When applying from outside Canada, you will need to apply for your child’s study permit at a Canadian overseas visa office.

Applying Together

if you are planning to bring your family to Canada while you study, and you’ll be arriving at the same time, you may consider filling out one application for the entire family. If you have a variety of different permit applications (your study permit and your spouse or common-law partner’s work permit, for example) you will need extra documentation and will need to include additional fees (such as the additional fee for the work permit).


If you wish to extend or change your conditions while you are in Canada, you will need to complete a separate application. Make sure to check the date of expiry on your study permit and apply at least 30 days before that date if you would like to extend your stay.

Does a child need a study permit?

Children accompanying an adult who is in Canada on a work or study permit may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.

If the child is…Documents neededStudy permit required
a Canadian citizenPassport, citizenship card, or birth certificateNo
a Canadian permanent residentRecord of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) or Permanent Resident CardNo
a foreign national accompanied by a parent with Visitor statusStamp on the child’s passport or on the father’s or mother’s passport on which the child is listed as a son or daughterYes
alone, or with a parent who is a temporary resident and has a study or work permitChild’s passport or child listed on the parent’s passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit. (See note below)No
a refugee claimant, whether accompanied by a parent or notDetermination of Eligibility letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Child’s passport or child listed on a parent’s passport, or any available travel or identity documents. May also have an expired IRCC document.No
in Canada without statusChild’s passport or child listed on a parent’s passport, or any available travel or identity documents. May also have an expired IRCC document.No

Note: The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if he or she has only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on his or her passport.

Can I bring my parents while on a study permit?

While on a study permit, international students can invite their parent(s) to visit on a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), which allows the parent (s)to travel to Canada.